Foodie Finds | Zigi's Fish & Chips


One of the first dishes that my partner introduced to me when we were just starting out was his Beer Battered Cream Dory. Then we frequented a Fish & Chips place in SM Mall of Asia that I could not, for the life of me, remember the store name. That store isn't in the Mall anymore so it has been a while since we got to chow down on Fish & Chips that my Partner did not make himself. 


But what is Fish & Chips?

According to Wikipedia, Fish and chips is a hot dish of English origin consisting of fried battered fish and hot potato chips. It is a common take-away food and an early example of culinary fusion. Fish and chips first appeared in the 1860s; by 1910 there were more than 25,000 fish and chip shops across the UK, and by the 1930s there were over 35,000.
Battered fish is first coated in flour then dipped into a batter consisting of flour mixed with liquid, usually water but sometimes beer. Some newer modifications to the recipe may have cornflour added, and instead of beer sometimes soda water is added. In 1860, the first fish and chip shop was opened in London by Joseph Malin who sold "fish fried in the Jewish fashion".
Deep-fried chips (slices or pieces of potato) as a dish may have first appeared in England in about the same period: the Oxford English Dictionary notes as its earliest usage of "chips" in this sense the mention in Charles Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities (1859): "Husky chips of potatoes, fried with some reluctant drops of oil".

I love how the fries are called Chips. Anyway, a few months ago, my grade school schoolmate opened their own Fish & Chips Kiosk at the SM Mall of Asia. She probably does not remember me anymore but we are friends in Facebook so I got the news when they opened this business. Since it is only a Kiosk it is reminisce of the style in England where it is mostly take-away food. Unlike the English version of the Fish & Chips, these are not packaged in newspaper and it does come with more than 1 slab slice of fish. They come in these easy to hold paper cones that are not hot to the touch and is spill proof.


LOCATION

SM Mall of Asia
Ground Floor, Entertainment Mall, 
Mall of Asia Complex (MOA), Pasay City
Tel. No.09178630402


THE FOOD

Their servings come in 2 sizes and are priced at Php65 and Php110. They offer Mayo, Aioli, and one other dip that I think might have been Ranch or something for an additional Php10. (LOL. Me and my short term memory. Tsk.) Their large serving can actually feed 2 people who are just looking for a hearty snack and they do give a fair amount of dip. So we got one Mayo and one Aioli dip and shared 2 large orders between my partner, myself, and my son. There was a lot of Fish and fries to go around.

THE VERDICT

The food was hot and freshly made. I could have preferred a little bit more salt and pepper on the coating of the fish and the fries but it wasn't negligible. I could probably have gotten extra salt if I asked. I wish they had seating because it's a bit hard to enjoy hot food when you're walking around a crowded mall. They wouldn't be the only kiosk who had a few tables and chairs (Some kiosks like Juice Avenue have seating). We had to sit on the aisle planters near the Kiosk while we were eating. This place is fairly new so it's still possible they would include seating next time.

They only have this one Kiosk so far and being from the South it is accessible to a point. I seriously hate the traffic going out of Las Pinas City and ever since I started working in Alabang I don't really go to MOA anymore. I wish they could open branches in either SM Southmall, Alabang Town Center, or Festival Mall too. 

If you are in the area, I would definitely recommend you try Zigi's Fish & Chips.

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Labels: , , , ,