Book Review | Black Bird of the Gallows by Meg Kassel

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise
~ The Beatles
__________________________________________________

Black Bird of the Gallows
by Meg Kassel


A simple but forgotten truth: Where harbingers of death appear, the morgues will soon be full.



Angie Dovage can tell there’s more to Reece Fernandez than just the tall, brooding athlete who has her classmates swooning, but she can’t imagine his presence signals a tragedy that will devastate her small town. When something supernatural tries to attack her, Angie is thrown into a battle between good and evil she never saw coming. Right in the center of it is Reece—and he’s not human.


What’s more, she knows something most don’t. That the secrets her town holds could kill them all. But that’s only half as dangerous as falling in love with a harbinger of death.
__________________________________________________

Another book off my TBR and blog review list. LOL. And this was the book in my September Pagehabit Box. I actually read the book a week after I got the box in October and I've been meaning to write the review. As usual, busy busy bee.

So here is the book which comes annotated by the author. Although I know the post it annotations are already repros it still has the personalized touch by the author and by Pagehabit. I am so spoiled with Hardbound copies. Now I want my shelf to just have hardbounds. Haha. Unfortunately my wallet won't agree to that so I'll just join all the Giveaways I see to get more hardbound books.


Unlike the other book I got from Pagehabit, the annotations on this one were sticking out and were kinda getting crumpled on the edges a bit. So what I did was remove the post its, read the page it was on, then replaced the paper in the middle of the page so that it was no longer sticking out.


On to the review. If you noticed the book isn't as thick as the other books I've read and the story was similarly simple but was written so wonderfully that the only thing I wanted maybe was more of the story. The book itself gave out a Twilight kind of vibe. Not bad for Meg Kassel's debut novel.

Although I said it had a Twilight vibe, the story and character were way different than twilight. The female protagonist was not a whiny brat and did not overly pine over her supernatural romance. The author made sure that Angie had her own thing going and she grew into becoming more confident. She was an awesome DJ and she actually had friends before meeting Reece. She wasn't annoying! LOL. Now that is a good character development.

I think Reece has a superhero complex though. And it was a duh moment that he has this bad boy pained and ever sacrificing attitude, like the world was against him. He was the annoying character. Hahaha

The word building was good and it definitely caught my interest while I was reading it. This
was a little spooky and I like spooky. It was good read and I liked it. I guess if this was kinda like Twilight then I'm ok that the book wasn't too long. Oh, and I don't think I've gotten over the fact that under the dust jacket, wait for it, the book was purple!

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐

Labels: , , , , ,