Book Review | Muse of Nightmares by Laini Taylor


“Once upon a time there was a silence that dreamed of becoming a song, 
and then I found you, and now everything is music.” 
― Laini Taylor, Muse of Nightmares
____________________________________________

Muse of Nightmares
(Strange the Dreamer #2)

by Laini Taylor
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐


Sarai has lived and breathed nightmares since she was six years old.

She believed she knew every horror and was beyond surprise.

She was wrong.

In the wake of tragedy, neither Lazlo nor Sarai are who they were before. One a god, the other a ghost, they struggle to grasp the new boundaries of their selves as dark-minded Minya holds them hostage, intent on vengeance against Weep.

Lazlo faces an unthinkable choice—save the woman he loves, or everyone else?—while Sarai feels more helpless than ever. But is she? Sometimes, only the direst need can teach us our own depths, and Sarai, the Muse of Nightmares, has not yet discovered what she's capable of.

As humans and godspawn reel in the aftermath of the citadel's near fall, a new foe shatters their fragile hopes, and the mysteries of the Mesarthim are resurrected: Where did the gods come from, and why? What was done with thousands of children born in the citadel nursery? And most important of all, as forgotten doors are opened and new worlds revealed: Must heroes always slay monsters, or is it possible to save them instead?

Love and hate, revenge and redemption, destruction and salvation all clash in this astonishing and heart-stopping sequel to the New York Times bestseller, Strange the Dreamer. [1]

____________________________________________

I had been waiting so long for this book to come out. Ever since I read Strange the Dreamer, I couldn't stop talking about it and hoping for the 2nd book to hurry along and get written and published. I have stalked Laini Taylor in Twitter and Insta. 🤓 I jumped with joy when I found out it was finally coming out. I splurged and bought the book on the day I got paid! 

Muse of Nightmares picks up right after what happened in Strange the Dreamer - Sarai is still pretty much dead and Lazlo is figuring out what it means to be godspawn. The first part of the book confused me a little because it showed a different world where the the blue gods seemed to be revered. That was the twist that made this fantasy story science fiction and it blew my mind. 

I loved how all the characters lives changed because of Lazlo. The people of Weep, the Faranji from across the dessert, and the godspawn. Years of hate and misunderstanding finally come to light because of an orphan librarian who dared to dream. And then they explained how the Seraphs pierced between worlds or alternate universes and they just made the story I already loved mind boggling. I was speechless. Now I want to read more.

I heard there was a little cross over happening but I haven't read any of Lainis's other books. Now I have the motivation to do so. So to my readers who haven't read Strange the Dreamer yet, please do so. This duology comes highly recommended.



PS. I am totally getting a Strange the Dreamer tattoo of Sarai's moth. Check out the design below. Getting that once I get my Christmas bonus. 😄 (Disclaimer: Picture not mine)


____________________________________________

Thank you for dropping by. Tell me what you think of the post. 
Click on the follow button to the right to get more awesome content.

Labels: , , , , , ,